Thursday, May 26, 2011

Protocols...

I’m torn.  I used to trust Dr. BFP but now I’m not so sure.  Maybe I jinxed him by naming him Dr. BFP?

When the nurse called to tell me my cycle was cancelled she said they had put me on the long lupron protocol because I was young and healthy and they thought the endo was mostly blocking my tubes, but my ovaries responded like I was about 10 years older.  What bothers me is that most of the other endo girls I’ve talked to were never put on the LLP because they’re docs expected their ovaries to act older than they are.  Why didn’t my doc know this?

Maybe this is what I get for going to Motel Six instead of the Ritz Carlton?

I’ve always wanted to see Dr. Sher in Vegas but the stress of travelling has been a big part of holding me back, and of course the cost… 

Currently I’m trying to convince Dr. BFP that instead of the microdose flare protocol he wants me to use he should put me on the agonist / antagonist conversion with estrogen priming protocol (A/ACP+e2v) that Dr. Sher recommends.  I have a feeling he’ll fight it hard, or just say no.  I ran the idea of immunological implantation issues by him when we had our first consult and I could tell he wasn’t a big Dr. Sher fan…

So now I’m torn, do I proceed with a cheap cycle with Dr. BFP and see how it goes, then go with the big guns with Dr. Sher if it doesn’t work?  Or do I switch right away if Dr. BFP won’t try this protocol? 

If I start travelling for IVF I will have to tell my work about it and I’m not really ready for that, there are so many things to worry about now, I miss the care-free girl I was 2 weeks ago.

11 comments:

  1. OK take it from a girl who just traveled 4,500 miles for a canceled cycle, STAY CLOSE TO HOME :) That being said I am going to google Dr Vegas right now. See ya in Vegas babe!! HA HA!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you dont have faith in your doctor your always going to question his sugestions and his course of treatment as well as pointing blame at him if it dosnt work. You will always be playing the "what if" game...if you feel the protocol he is trying to get you to start is the wrong on then your going into it already negative which isnt good, all in the sake of it being cheaper....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a lot of opinions on dr bfp. And while my cycle is going well I don't know how many successful cycles he has. In my blog I talk about anchorage dr. She did not want me to go to dr bfp because of multiple different issues. If you want you can email me and I can give you more thoughts. Also I happened to find out about dr through the grape vine because anchorage dr does not usually refer to him but out of state mostly to Seattle reproductive. Tgjohnston10@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should add that I think his heart is in the right place but maybe just doesn't have some of the advaced knowledge as out of state people- which is common with a lot of specialty stuff in ak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a tricky question, isn't? Is there another doctor who is closer that you could go see instead of having to travel all the way to Vegas only to have a canceled cycle or something like that. I think you need to do what you feel is best and right for you. I know it isn't easy though....good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking and praying for you.

    I truly believe that you go and enjoy your vacay with Blue in Europe and decide when you return (unless of course this change in protocol has to be discussed before you go? Sorry if I missed that!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ughh! Hard to say....think you need to go with your gut! That said, we live 6 hours from our REs--pros--a new meaning to 'baby making vacation'...cons--looong drive. I'm with ButterflyKiss...go enjoy Europe and forget about it for awhile, have fun, get an awesome tan and think on it again upon your return :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know you and I have only been following you a short while....but as someone who had terrible infertility care at the beginning, I urge you to switch doctors if you are not comfortable with the choices this one is making for you. Be an advocate for your care...especially when dealing with something like this. You deserve to get the best treatment possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! Tough decision for sure.

    I need to read more of your blog/ history, but if you suspect, or have been properly tested for immune issues, I would not waste my time with an RE who does not support immune treatment. It's definitely a controversial field, but given my history, and the research I've done, I'm a HUGE believer.

    Dr. Sher does phone consults at no charge. You might go that route and get his opinion.

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi stopping from ICLW

    it sucks when you lose your confidence in your doc... i also went through this... I guess the best thing you can do is ask some questions and try and clear this between the two of you

    hope you have a successful cycle real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry again that your cycle was cancelled and that you're now facing these big decisions. Your heart will tell you the right answer for you. Love always xoxo

    PS. I'm going to take my blog private in a week or so... and would love to keep sharing my journey with you. Email me on newyearmum@gmail.com for me to add your email to my list xoxo

    ReplyDelete