Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Family

DH and I have been very open with our families about everything we’ve gone through with our infertility.  I’m really glad that we have been because it’s so nice to be able to talk about it out loud.  The topic of the week has been IVF.  They’re all curious and want to know all about it, how does it work, what drugs do you take, would you have to go out of state?  It’s been nice sorting through it all out loud with supportive people.

I was originally worried that my sister in law would be insensitive and would spread the news more than I would like but I was totally wrong.  Actually she has been one of the most supportive people in our family.  I think part of the reason is because she isn’t scared to ask any question she thinks, so I feel totally comfortable saying what I think back.

About 6 or 8 months ago she mentioned in passing that if we ever needed it she would be our surrogate, then she laughed and said she loves being pregnant but there’s no way she wants another baby.  I laughed it off too and said thanks.

A few days ago my sister in law asked us where we’re at and what we’ve considered.  At the end of the conversation she told us that she’d thought about it and if we get to the point of adoption/surrogacy that she really would be willing to carry a baby for us, that it would mean the world to her to make us parents. 

I almost cried right there.  This person who has no blood ties to me is willing to spend 9 months of her life carrying my child, not for compensation but because she loves me and DH enough to want to help us become parents.  Even if we never need a surrogate I’ll never forget that she made the offer and what it meant to me.

I’m a very lucky girl.  It’s easy to get wrapped up in a pity party when dealing with infertility, but if you can see past the sadness you’ll see that there is so much to be thankful for.  So my new year’s resolution is to try and see past the infertility and start recognizing and appreciating the good things I have in my life, like my family.

1 comment:

  1. Aww that is so kind! I've had a couple people offer their eggs to me. It's a good feeling to know that people care. I'm glad you have a good support system!

    ReplyDelete